What is content marketing? Does content marketing work I hear you ask?
Put it this way, statistics show that brands invested upwards of $44 billion worldwide in content last year, so the answer would seem obvious. Consumers to a point, have shut off traditional marketing. We all own a DVR to skip television advertising, we ignore magazine advertising if we buy them at all, and we mostly ignore online advertising such as banner ads. Smart marketers understand that traditional marketing is becoming less and less effective by the minute, so alternatives needed to be found.
Enter Content Marketing. But what exactly is content marketing?
“Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
Content marketing’s purpose is to attract and retain customers by creating and curating relevant and valuable content. It is an ongoing process that is best integrated into your overall marketing strategy, which is also part of the problem for many who attempt it. We all want instant results from our marketing efforts and writing content can be time consuming, most will give up after a few weeks when the phone doesn’t ring and our content has not gone “viral”.
Here is our Top 10 tips for successful content marketing, we use and follow these tips ourselves so we know they work.
- Create content that inspires, think of yourself as your brand storyteller.
- Invest in visual content with the use of videos, infographics, and compelling imagery.
- Don’t be afraid to share personal stories.
- Get creative and use humor.
- Make an appointment with your audience – get in touch with them at a particular time of the day/week/month.
- Curate relevant content from across the web and provide your followers with information they want and need.
- Repurpose content – For example, you can pull key points from an article and tweet them throughout the week or you could use a long blog post as a launching point for an entire blog series. Whatever you choose to do, finding ways to repurpose material will allow you to extend the valuable life of your content.
- Target a niche – As the internet becomes increasingly saturated, the only way for SME’s and brands to stand out will be to target a niche community or a highly-specialized area of their target market.
- Talk to your customers, not at them.
- Share, Share, Share!
It takes time, patience, and persistence to develop a new habit. Ask yourself which of these content marketing habits would benefit you the most. Then, schedule time in your calendar to make it happen.